We will finish reading and discussing Restart by Gordon Korman. This week our focus will be on chapters 24-30. Reminder: students will have an assignment each day focusing on comprehension and vocabulary.
6th Grade Newsletter: May 11, 2018
This newsletter is a digest of all 6th Grade news stories posted for the week ending on Friday, May 11.
This week students will study unit 29: Prefixes: per-, pre-, pro- (p. 180-182).
Pages 180-182 are DUE: Friday, May 18
Definitions (20 Basic Words = 20 Definitions) are DUE: Friday, May 18
The Unit 29 test will be on Friday, May 18
Bell Ringer Journal
Students will receive 5-7 minutes at the beginning of class to complete their bell ringer journal. It is imperative that students are in class on time to be able to utilize the entire 5-7 minutes for this assignment. The journal will be due every Monday.
We will continue the unit on punctuation. This week students will do the following:
- Use semicolons and colons
- Use hyphens, dashes, and parentheses
- Apply rules for using apostrophes
- Apply rules for punctuating titles
*The chapter 11 test on punctuation will be on Tuesday, May 22.
We will finish the unit on Informational Essay writing. This week students will:
- Reflect on the writing process to become more independent writers in the future.
Also, this week, we will begin a unit on Writing the Argument: Writing a Letter of Complaint. This week students will do the following:
- Define the term "argument"
- Understand the term "debatable claim"
- Discuss and explore argument terminology and supporting examples
- Compare facts and opinions
- Analyze claims made on bumper stickers